Wednesday 3 November 2010

Mummy-Tummy-Ness...

So, it's no secret that I'm a Mummy and surprise surprise my body is not the same as it was before I had Little Miss O and I'm quite OK with this. Funnily enough, I put on very little weight during our pregnancy and my bump was always really small. I hardly ate anything for months due to morning sickness and I had really 'healthy' cravings for things like satsumas and Waitrose apple juice (it really only was Waitrose that I could drink)! I have horrible memories of Mr O force-feeding me tomato soup (bless him). From the back, I was convinced that I didn't even look pregnant, though I'm sure the obligatory 9-month waddle gave the game away!

When Little Miss O was born, I lost a lot of weight - and quickly. We were both doing really well with the breastfeeding and coupled with the stress of organising our wedding over 200 miles away, plus trying to complete my PhD, I was burning off the calories from my food as it was being prepared! I actually dropped below my pre-preg. weight....BUT there was one thing that didn't budge - the bulge (aka 'the pouch')- you know that soft Mummy-tummy-ness that is all too familiar to anyone who has had a baby (even if you got rid of it, you would've had it atleast for a day!). Well, I still have it and if caught under the wrong lighting, at the wrong angle, I could easily look as though I am at the start of my second trimester (eeek!). With little time/energy/motivation/or even care(!) to exercise, I sought quick fixes. I don't go as far as yummie tummie gear, but I regularly do a whole host of other things...

- well fitting and tailored clothing. The shops that I find good for dresses and tops - without breaking the bank are: GAP, Marks and Spencer (their limited collection is actually really nice), Armani Xchange, Dorothy Perkins (yes really!), French Connection and I hate to say it, but...TopShop (my former clothing nemesis!). I can walk into these shops and usually I find stuff that fits...

- magic knickers. I am not ashamed to admit it! These are an absolute God send! I did try the spanx brand, but I wasn't so keen...it's Marks and Spencers own brand all the way for me! I think I have 4 varieties (again, I am not ashamed to tell cyberspace!) and when I need instant lipo, I don't leave the house without them...

- waist belts - to be used with caution though girls, they can create muffin tops. You've been warned!!! : )

- anything with a bit (but not too much) stretch/lycra/spandex...

This is me - 3 months post pregnancy using all of the above tips and wearing my 2nd favourite dress!

- accessories that detract from the mummy-tummy-ness, like statement jewellery, my trademark pashmina, a pair of cute heels...anything!

- limiting unhealthy foods and alcohol - this sounds obvious, but a bar of chocolate/cake fix a day is probably not helping my case! I have a real sweet tooth, so I too find it hard to deny myself, but I'm trying...

- then there is exercise... I plan to start doing some real scheduled exercise (and I use the term loosely). Why bother now though? Well, truthfully,  although I accept my mummy-tummy-ness, I will probably accept my soon-to-be yummy-mummy-non-tummy-ness just as readily!

I guess that these tips would apply to anyone who feels they could work on their mid-region...but especially to us gal's whose bellies have (beyond our control, I might add!) expanded, near exploded and then snapped back into roughly, but not quite, the same shape!

So let's raise a cupcake (!) 'carrot stick' to well tailored, stretchy but not too stretchy garments, accessories, magic knickers, cute heels and (*cough*) exercise...

Mrs O
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...